Friday, January 26, 2018

The Weekend that Was 4

"If you must blink, do it now
Pay attention to everything you see and hear, 
no matter how unusual it may seem.
And please be warned, if you fidget, if you look away, 
if you forget any part of what I tell you, 
 even for an instant, 
then you will miss the post on my initiation into attending introduction ceremonies"
(Kubo and the two strings)
Saturday: 

In my other life, I identify as an Igbo girl, but in this life 
I am from Zion.
Yes, Zion -- I am neither Igbo, Yoruba, 
or any of the other tribes people try to force on me
Ehn hen -- is it your Zion? -- (read this as an answer to your comments on my origin).

What better way to get initiated into attending wedding ceremonies, 
than at a Igbo traditional ceremony
But despite my eagerness
the "no-wedding ceremony" part of me was still looking for a reason to turn down the invite.
But how can I turn down my "sister's" wedding?

Luckily, the ceremony wasn't rowdy, 
 food and drinks were overflowing,
 Nobody said things like: 
"This seat is for the pope from the village oo"
Or 
"sit here only if you came with a gift"
Or
"This seat is reserved for the Holy Spirit"
Honestly, I have heard a lot of things at wedding ceremonies. 

The ceremony itself was simple and short. 
I think the main event was concluded in just an hour:

There were Igbo talks,
the anxious bride was "secured" in her room
the groom looked almost as anxious as the bride, especially in the midst of all the Igbo parables
And of course garden eggs for the culture. 


As usual, the bride carried a glass of red wine to her husband
(Thinking about it now, shouldn't it have been a glass of palm wine)? 
People expected the bride to do the whole "searching for her groom" thing 
before giving him the cup -- but trust my Deedee nah,
Babe just went straight to the point
"We are not here for jokes yo!"


Sunday: 
I realised the fuel scarcity was back, 
and my car's (Alice) tank was on red. 
Sigh-- I had so much confidence in getting fuel on my way back to my "village"
But Alice, got the shock of her fuel life. 
Trust Nigeria to take  "no one knows what tomorrow will bring" to a greater dimension. 

With no working filling station, I had to hustle for fuel:



It's another weekend now, and I have another wedding ceremony to attend. 

Eisss like I am slowly getting over my phobia for wedding ceremonies. 




No comments:

Post a Comment