Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Holy Spirit or The Spirit of Alcohol

Happy Sunday guys,

So you know the way I like my alcohol yeah? well my regular blog readers should know this by now. Anyway, as a christian I have heard the saying "drinking alcohol is a sin" on so many occasions, and up until this day, I used to contest that saying. Firstly by asking the person to show me where in the bible it is written that drinking alcohol is a sin, and Secondly, why then did Jesus turn water into wine as his first miracle? Now at this point most people would ask how I know the wine wasn't non-alcoholic. My response usually was, firstly, it was a wedding, a worldly wedding, why wouldn't they prefer alcoholic drinks to non-alcoholic. I am too sure if the wine was non-alcoholic the wedding master wouldn't have made the comment about how good the wine was.
Secondly, the bible said "..and the people were merry" Remember non-alcoholic wine is like juice, why would someone drink juice and become merry? obviously, it must have bn alcoholic for the people to be merry.
With the points above, I usually then go on to conclude that, "drinking alcohol is not a sin, but when you drink to the state of drunkenness is when you are committing a sin, as you are not able to control your mind, which is exactly what the bible speaks against" this state of not bn able to control your mind is also achieved during intense yoga and some "mind clearing activities" we participate in.

Anyway, I still believed in my theories and facts till the pastor at church randomly brought this topic up today. Now what really fascinated me was the fact that he quoted all my points above, asin exactly all of them, then went further to explain how alcohol intake is a sin.

He said, the spirit in alcohol is called Bacchus, which apparently is a name of a wine, once we take in alcohol, the spirit of God in us evacuates, just like when we commit sin. When the spirit of God evacuates, this spirit of drunkenness, Bacchus then resides in us, this is going against the word of God, hence we as christians are in other than straight ways, committing a sin.

Unfortunately, I am unable to explain it as precisely as he preached it, but now I know my theories were just a way of gingering myself in the wrong I was doing, even with the knowledge that it was wrong..
Ho ho ho! that sounds deep..

Anyway, I'll like to hear from anyone that has a better explanation to this. I'll really appreciate it..

No comments:

Post a Comment