Monday, October 2, 2017

The Weekend that Was


Can you tell that I had an awesome weekend? Sigh 😔  some weekends are meant to last forever.

This weekend is (was) a long one-- No work on Monday, because Nigeria turned 57 on Sunday. Happy birthday Nigeria. 
As part of my new plans to attempt to have a social life, I went to Lagos for the long weekend. A few friends had a lot planned, so as a foodie queen that I am, I planned to maximize the opportunity for free food.

But the weekend wasn't just about food, there was a sad part to the weekend as well -- when I found out that the person I may have had a crush on, was very very unavailable 😔😔😔 Sometimes, the pot of stale beans that this life is ehn... It is only advisable to run away from beans completely. But unfortunately I can't, because beans happens to be my best food. (The next post "I had a crush, but he was unavailable" is about my heartbreak).

Back to the weekend, I came into Lagos on Friday afternoon, after a very very long drive from Ota...
I had planned to leave Canaanland by 12 pm latest, to avoid traffic, 'cos apparently, a lot of Lagos roads are going under construction, and you know how our country is nah... Road construction means road block with almost no other alternative.
It didn't now help matter that it rained that morning. Remember rain is the off switch for Nigeria. When it rains, every thing turns off-- PHCN abi NEPA or whatever new name(s) they have, DSTV goes off, phone lines die, and even traffic builds up.

But I just had so much to do before leaving work-- I had to do my makeup (as a slay queen that I am becoming, plus I had new makeup brands that I really wanted to test for my Lagos journey), 


I had to drop Alice (my baby girl) at the mechanic shop, as she had a surgery to under go... apparently she was having a hard time breaking and kept screeching whenever I pressed her break.
I also had to pick up my wig from the hairdresser, and take off the bad hair the other hair dresser made on my head... Hairdressers and Tailors should learn to fear God honestly.. It didn't now help that the ATMs in school were not dispensing cash. But on the positive side I love my wig... but it couldn't sit on my head without tilting backwards. Knowing how busy my weekend was going to be, and how much I didn't want my wig falling off while doing things better left unsaid, I had to stop at Iyana Ipaja market to get a wig glue... The hustle to find parking space ehn, and the terrible customer service I got.. that's conversation for another day.

By the time I finally got to the Island, I was all shades of tired, and left to me alone, sleeping would have been the appropriate thing to do... but mba.. my inner man,  not the Spirit filled one, the one that is so adamant on being a slay queen said to me "You think I came all the way from Ota to Lagos to sleep? Have we run out of beds in Ota?
And so I cleaned up, and got ready for the night.
First, I picked up my sister and brother from work, then met up with a friend at Beer Barn in Lekki Phase 1... This was my first time entering into Beer Barn in Lagos, because remember, my social life had been dead for four years... But I remember always hanging out with my friends at Beer Barn in Abuja, because they had very affordable drinks.
I loved the beer barn atmosphere, it was very "arty", and the Dj wasn't bad... he had a good old school and new day mix going on, both Nigerian and foreign... which was nice. I had their chicken wings, which I felt looked and tasted quite weird.
From beer barn, I met up with a friend at Vellvett in VI... I was there for a very short time, and was really tired, but I also loved everything about the lounge--- It had this "big house party feel", which was really simple and nice... But sleep called... and I really couldn't say no by 2am... So I went home and had a very good but short sleep.

On Saturday, I had a novelty match to attend at my secondary school - Chrisland, Opebi--- A match between the alumni and staff in celebration of Chrisland at 40. Very unlike me, I arrived four hours late- the game was already in the second half. Mehn.. "I was just there to expose my skin to the sun" (somebody actually said that to me), but on the positive side, the alumni team won 3 - 0. 

After the game, I hung out with a few friends-- Yemisi and Thelma, and Thelma's friend (I can't remember his name right now :( 
A trip to hubmart with the ladies, to get face wipes, turned to a photoshoot-- the sun was just making us slay anyhow. After which, we went to another friend's house to eat. Remember I am a foodie queen. 
 
 
A long weekend can't be over in Nigeria, without a visit to the beach, and so, on Sunday, I did follow come-- Follow come is when you just follow a friend to another friend's event, where in a gathering of like 50 people, you actually know just one person. A friend's friend was having a birthday party, and rented a house at Tarkwa Bay, Tarkwa Bay is located some kilometres offshore Lagos, so we had to get a boat to get to the beach, the boat was so loaded that I had to sit in front-- I was scared ehn, but the journey wasn't bad, as I was surrounded by able bodied men, willing to jump into the water for me lol (I pray oo). 

When we got to the beach, we realised that the rented house was almost 3 kilo meters away, so we had to walk on hot sand - the sun was not smiling at all. Felt like we came on a hiking trip rather than  a visit to the beach. 
Then finally, we got to the rented house and realised that there was no pool, and no body of water-
Imagine the feeling, traveling kilometres to go to a beach, only to realise you are going to be stuck in a house with 50 people you don't know. But funny enough, it wasn't bad at all-- I actually really enjoyed myself.. the host created a lot of fun games- from lip synching battle, where my F9 was not from this world, to some inter house sport type of baton passing game, to dance dance dance! 

Finally, it was time to go home, while I enjoyed my outing, I was glad to finally lay in bed and sleeeeeeeeep

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this that I didn't realise my son was crying beside me! I am a foodie too, I loveeee food and unfortunately the evidence is clearly seen on me. Takwa bay is among the places that strangely I haven't been too. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! I am glad you enjoyed the post.

      I have a post coming up on my foodie ways-- You'll absolutely love it.. Gladly I am too energetic for the evidence to show on me, so for now i get away with it

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading this that I didn't realise my son was crying beside me! I am a foodie too, I loveeee food and unfortunately the evidence is clearly seen on me. Takwa bay is among the places that strangely I haven't been too. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete