Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Excuse me ma

I had the most interesting impromptu class today...

This morning, I woke up with a slight headache, and honestly wasn't in the best state of mind to go to work... but as I don't have a strong enough business idea to make it as a full time entrepreneur and as I am not ready to live under the bridge na, I carried my headache and went to the office. 
On the positive side, I had no classes to teach today (or so I thought), so I planned to get some scripts graded with my headache 🤕  

For the first few hours, I slowly but surely graded the scripts. And the day was seemingly looking like a very quiet one, which I had really prayed for--- but you see how God works ehn! When it seems like your day is going according to your plans, He just finds a way to come and show you who the boss is 😎😎

By 10:45am, my colleague came panicking to my office-- as a concerned friend that I am, I asked her what the marra was -- so apparently (btw. I was recently told that apparently my best word is apparently 😃😃-- see what I did there? 😉😉). Anyway, my colleague co-ordinates the 300 level EDS course-- for those familiar with the Nigerian University curriculum, EDS is short for Entrepreneurial Development Studies -- it basically teaches students the core of entrepreneurship, including learning business vocations and skills. So apparently, in her supposed class for today, which was to start by 11:00am, she had gotten an external facilitator (an entrepreneur with a growing business), to teach the class-- as par come and give the students real life story na... 

But somehow somehow, by 10:38am, news got to her that the lady had cancelled, because of some other pressing matter, and so couldn't make it... First, this was less than 30 minutes to the class -- a big class for ALL 3rd year students in the University-- ranging from Engineering to Art students. Second, my colleague was "strong", and had absolutely no strength to stand in front of the large class that she had in no way prepared for-- and that is where Sister Debo entered the picture.

"Moti now, please... Even if it is just 30 minutes, just go to the class and talk to them in "phonee" (oyinbo accent)" 

Hot seat 💺 loading... 

I really wanted to say NO oo. Remember, headache, plus today I just wore normal office pants and sweater, no make up nothing nothing... Plus, what would I even talk about? By this time it was already like 10:52am... 

That's how everybody in my office cubicle now added mouth ooh! "Moti you are a talker, you can do this!" You go fear motivational talk nah 

And that's how I found myself by 11:05am talking to a group of young adults on MENTORSHIP. To be honest, when I went to the class, I had no idea what I was going to talk about... I was thinking blogging? (As this is my most recent re-ignited passion), I was also thinking Corporate Social Responsibility (as that's my academic angle-- but I honestly feel tired talking about CSR at the babyroot these days)... then somehow somehow, I just started gisting with them about their present business start ups and the challenges they face--- before I knew it, the discussion moved to the role of Mentorship and Networking in Entrepreneurship. 

As usual, I tried to make the class as interactive as possible, and we ended up spending more time discussing questions the students asked. 

I got some really interesting mentorship questions, but the question that got to me the most was.... 

Wait for it..... 

Wait for it..... 

Keep waiting for it..... 

"Excuse me ma, what's your IG handle?"
The result





1 comment:

  1. Awww, see lecturer in action. If only i was your student

    ReplyDelete