Saturday, March 28, 2015

NO! I don't have 1/2 brain for doing things orderly

Today, I went to the shopping mall in school to pick up just two items; a bottle of fanta and a bar of bounty chocolate.
The queue was really long, but I knew my alternative would be to go out of school, and really I did not have that time.
So I took my position on the queue and quietly waited for my turn.
I should at this point note that the manager of the shopping mall is my neighbor, she lives next door to my flat and her kids and I are paddy paddy, so I could have easily walked up to her and experienced a “Heavens on earth” order of service. However, I decided to painfully wait on the queue.

Anyway, ten minutes into the queue and this guy walks up to the attendant, talks to him, does a few through and fro, comes back finally about ten minutes later, jumps the queue and stands beside the attendant, obviously about to pay.

I was just there wondering if my brain was too short or I have nothing worthwhile to do with my time, that I’ll stand on a queue for about thirty minutes and someone else will just come and enjoy the service I was patiently waiting to receive.

I tried to be very calm, spoke to the guy, told him to PLEASE join the queue; I also spoke to the attendant to PLEASE answer only those of us on the queue, but ofc course you know what option they both picked.

I guess I should also note that I was not wearing my ID card, so as far as they were concerned, I was just another student who knew my right, but they couldn’t be bothered.
The attendant, did not only attend to the guy, he tried to do it in a “yamfu yamfu” manner, by mixing his items with another guy’s items, to make both sales become one.

I gave him a piece of my mind, oh, you trust Debo now, I even called his manager, and really told him off. 

Rewind about thee months ago, same thing happened at the bank, of course I gave the lady a piece of my mind, people were now begging me, begging me for what? Not to exercise my right as an individual? To accept what I know I don’t deserve? To keep quite at un-orderliness? (P.s. today the lady and I are friends.)

I had a conversation with a friend just after the shopping mall experience, ranting to him how annoying people are, how power turns people’s heads upside down.  Give a little boy power, and he’ll assume he is a MAN.

And my friend said something to me “Today, Nigerians are voting for change, we want a better economy, we want a better nation, but are we ready to do our own part to energize this change? Are we ready to stop jumping queues? Are men ready to stop parking their expensive cars on the road, just to wee-wee on the road?”

- Debbie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment